We know that volunteering a portion of our time is something we should do. There are reminders all around us that our help is needed. Other people will significantly benefit from any time we contribute. But that is not the only reason to volunteer.
Have you thought about the benefits you will get from volunteering? If you consider the many benefits you will receive, you will be asking yourself why you aren’t more involved with helping a cause.
Consider these 18 reasons to volunteer some of your time:
- To make new friends
- To build personal and professional contacts
- To build your self-esteem and self-confidence
- To develop new job skills
- To make a difference in the world
- To increase personal satisfaction
- To add experience to your resume
- To develop people skills
- To develop communication skills
- To do something as a family
- To explore career possibilities
- To feel needed and appreciated
- To share your skills with others
- To be challenged
- To do something different
- To earn academic credit
- To improve your health
- To have fun!
You will get more out of your volunteer experience than you put into it. Don’t hesitate to identify and donate some of your time to a worthy volunteer opportunity. You will be glad you did.