When was the last time someone made your day – or you made theirs? In the national bestselling book, FISH!, by Stephen C. Lundin Ph.D., Harry Paul, and John Christensen, the fishmongers at the world famous Pike Place Fish Company in Seattle do it daily. They do it by throwing fish and joking with their loyal customer-fans, and by just having fun.
I made a point recently to look for people I could “treat” this way, and it was really fun. I think I felt better than they did. I realized that when you make someone’s day, it bounces back on you. It’s a great feeling to witness the joy and surprise on their faces.
It can be little things, like:
• Saying “Good morning”
• Offering your place in line to a harried fellow shopper
• Bringing a cup of coffee to your office mate
• Doing a task for a coworker
• Over-tipping at your favorite restaurant
• Taking time with someone who needs it
• Being a fully present listener
It doesn’t take much to create a joyful moment. Look around, and you’ll find there are more openings than you think. They’re everywhere!